Non-Filipino’s don’t know what its like to apply for a job in the Philippines. If you have had a friend, girlfriend or wife that works in the Philippines, you will know what I am about to tell you and how difficult it is to get a job in the Philippines.
Business in the Philippines as a whole abuses employees. Business as a whole has gotten away with abuse for years. It’s time to change. Duterte needs to change the game by which business employs staff in the Philippines.
Many foreigners have been financially abused by the Filipino system of getting work.
In western countries; if a business wants employees or you want to set up a business – BUSINESS PAYS. The business will supply everything, uniform, shoes, etc to get GOOD staff.
In the Philippines, its a the other way around. People are conditioned that they are “lucky” to have a job, they will be expected to work for free in a lot of cases and the worker is expected to PAY FOR EVERTYTHING THEMSELVES. If an employee is qualified for the job but has no money for fares to attend, that person will be terminated. People are just a number, hence, so is the service provided to customers is just provided from trained monkeys most of the time who have no capacity to think.
Many people from hotel staff to restaurants to hospitals work for free called “offer time”. On the job training is a common scam as well, where staff have to pay at their cost all uniform etc to work at a business for the privilege of unpaid training.
What I hate hearing….. ONE WORD beginning with “R” and ending in “T” – and it’s not part spelling of the word (R)e(T)arded.
Anyone who has dated someone in the Philippines will know exactly what I mean. I can feel the shivers go up the readers spines as I mention one word; “requirements”.
Have you been a victim of the dreaded requirements request?
What are requirements?
This relates to job requirements. What the prospective employees need to “pass” to apply for work.
The photograph below is just a sample of Stage 1 of getting a job. I could not find the uniform requirements list at the time of writing which detailed uniform required down to socks and shoes – all to be paid for by the prospective employee.
What Filipinos don’t realise in sending me this is that they think “they are the only one”, when in fact I was getting 2 to 3 of these photographs on my phone PER WEEK! When I raised this, that only raised their paranoia level of – “I’m not like the rest”, “Don’t judge me”,”who are these other girls?”, “What! are you helping other girls” – Fuck, as if you can’t raise the fact that this is a real problem! Harassment.
All of those search requests cost money. Possibly a weeks wages just to apply for a job. Along with it comes loads of guilt trips making you the Mr. Rich White Foreigner feel guilty. There’s usually lots of crying, pleading, guilt tripping. In some cases girls have gone hungry in order to pay requirements when their financial lifelines have stopped. They have no food or fare as all their money is spent on these stupid requirements. I know that sounds a bit scammy, no food – but these are from Filipino’s I have known for a long time and they are genuinely going hungry in order to spend money on job application requirements.
PHOTOGRAPH – Asks for even blood type certificate, Mayors clearance, a sketch of the persons residence to locate it and to bring along the uniform which is ALL PAID FOR BY THE EMPLOYEE.
After you have completed all the formalities of your cetifications requirements, PHASE 2 is where you have to buy your uniform and look good by shaving your facial hair for some jobs and colouring your hair black for other jobs. This is the Uniform/tools for the job requirements phase.
The harassment by text can be relentless, all night I have had them even at 2am, 5am texting me. “Only ₱2,000 pesos sir”, “Only ₱3,500 needed sir” – as If they are the only ones that have asked me for money in my life. Dare mention to these girls that I am tired of begging Filipino’s – this sends them into a spin of paranoia about me giving money to other girls, that there are scammers out there, who are these people etc as if its news to them.
Have you noticed how the words ONLY 1,000, ONLY “two five”, ONLY “Three thousand” rolls off the Filipinos tongue like a hot knife slicing butter – when to them that is 3 days, 1 week even half a months salary that they would go and attend a burger flipping job to get that amount of money? I can never work it out how the money being given by a foreigner in their eyes is considered so small yet a 6 day a week, 12 hour a day salaried job is so little.
Well, let it be known EVERY GUY I know has been hit up for job requirements and WE, the world are fucking sick of begging Filipinos.
You see, in the Philippines – business has gotten away with murder. The unions appear gutless to force business to provide anything to the staff. EVERYTHING and I mean everything barring a kitchen sink is to be employee supplied.
Business makes money out of hiring staff and ripping them off. Business creates unnecessary hurdles forcing staff to buy goods and services through the firm. This includes uniforms, undergarments such as bra, supplies such as fuel for taxi drivers. I have met girls at Slave Mall who have to buy their uniform; bra even gate pass.
Then there are the greedy officials.
Requirements include (but not limited to)
- Proof of Citizenship if a foreign sounding name – (see what i mean from the images below) – I have even seen proof of being Filipino after an accent test.
- The barangay clearance
- Mayors clearance. WTF?
- NBI search. – Like getting a FBI clearance that your a good person with no record.
- SSS. – Social security setup?
- police check – Not worth a pinch of shit in my books.
- DOLE. – Department of Labour cert.
- PAGIBIG. – Some fund system filos contribute to
- Phil. Health card. – I dont know why a lot more Filos don’t pay Phil health instead of harassing fucking foreigners for hospital expenses!
- Old school leaving certificate. OMG! What is the purpose of this. I have known people to travel for a day to go home to their province to get one of these certificates issued.
- MEDICAL EXAMINATION – What? an STD check?
- Xrays which are redone every 6 months? – Lets radiate the crap out of filipinos. Xrays are done even on people working in non-customer contact areas and call centres. Perhaps its for TB assessment. I had a friend that worked in a call centre that had to have a mouth xray!
- Certificate of employment – SEE BELOW about this – this is fucked up. Its an extortion certificate where a previous employer can withhold final pay and stop people from getting another job forcing them into prostitution in order to survive.
- Birth certificate – If it looks like a filo, smells like a filo – it must be a fucking filo. Who really gives a fuck about birth certificates these days. You can get a fake birth certificate printed anyway.
- If have children – the business asks for their birth certificates as well!
- A map of your house – simple, if you steal, the business knows where to find you. If you die on the job, the business knows where to dump your body.
- Blood tests – blood type
Some of these requirements are quite expensive relative to the persons salary.
These are just some of the many “requirements” that may cost as much as one weeks wages, sometimes depending on the job – this figure may be higher.
Seems it’s true – OTHER FILIPINOS, ESPECIALLY BUSINESS DON’T BELIEVE WHAT ANOTHER FILIPINO TELLS THEM, MAYBE THESE SEARCHES ARE THERE FOR A REASON HAVING BEEN “BURNT” MANY TIMES IN THE PAST BY LIARS, LIKE FOREIGNERS GET BURNT WITH A FILIPINO PROMICE TO PAY BACK SMALL LOANS THAT NEVER GET REPAID.
An employer initiated exam is usually done, but usually the business pays for that.
Then after the certifications are complete –
- Buy uniform at the employees expense
- Buy shoes at the employees expense
- Buy items for job usually through the EMPLOYERS business. say socks or bra, hidden items are to be purchased also. SM was famous for that. Mr SM has made a lot of money off staff purchases even selling them gate passes for a days wage.
And if you thought Filipino business weren’t racist arseholes, many even specify skin colour.
With respect to the following images;
1. Weight proportional to height aka no fat people
2. no older people who might be better suited for the job
3. clear complexion = no darker coloured Filipinos.
CONTROL, CONTROL, CONTROL…..MILK EMPLOYEES ANY WAY THEY CAN
I have even met taxi drivers who have had to buy petrol off their employer else face a fine. The madness to control employees starts at all costs starts at school level and university where field trips, parties, events are compulsory and paid to the school who make money out of students and employees.
Employees are generally screwed all round in the Philippines to make money out of. If the employee, lets say a sales girl is shifted to another section within a store, she has to buy …yes, you guess ANOTHER UNIFORM at her cost.
The most abusive case was where I saw staff having to buy unsold food to resell to family and friends.
As I said – business in the Philippines has had it too good, too long.
All of the costs to work …..and at the end of the day they may not even be paid! A lot of times, people are classified as “OJT” or on the job training where they don’t get paid. Hotels are notorious for exploiting free workers.
I have had friends who have worked on starting salaries of 200 pesos for a shift from 4pm to midnight in a busy restaurant, where one meal is 200-350 pesos plus.
The staff are treated as a commodity, not human beings. Have you seen how at closing time all the staff sit around waiting to be let out at once after the security guards have patted them down or been checked, most likely that no one has stolen anything.
JOB REQUIREMENTS STUPIDITY CONTINUES
Here’s where stupidity lies. I have funded some friends to get jobs and within two months they are terminated. Yes, they have shelled out ₱2,500 to 3,000 pesos to get ₱16,000 pesos less tax. This doesn’t add up in my books as prudent just for a two-month job.
I’m not even going to raise how mad I get when I hear of fines and deductions imposed on employees by the business.
How has this happened?
Another fact I unearthed from this employment madness is worker careers are in the hands of previous employers.
Here’s where things get mad, really mad. Employee Leaving Certificates – COE’s.
An employee leaving certificate OR commonly referred to as a COE (Certificate of Employment) needs to be obtained from a former employer. This COE is a critical requirement to getting another job. The management and issuing of employee leaving certificates is a fucking disgrace. The previous employer has all the power to issue these COE’s and in some industries a COE is mandatory to show your next employer.
No certificate, no start. Simple.
If the old employer wants to muck you around, they can, and they do. You see, business thinks its king shit in town and this is where President Duterte needs to focus on. You see, some businesses take many months to issue these certificates in their own slow pace and this means people CANNOT WORK in their career industries. Sure, they can work I guess washing dishes, cleaning garbage, prostitution etc but they cannot work in their same career job. Call centre jobs are definitely ones that need a COE going from one call centre operator to another.
Three signatures required for a valid COE.
I sight one case of a friend. That person had to get a clearance certificate from their old employer which involved
- getting three signatures. No 3 signatures, no certificate. No certificate, no job.
- Everything is processed manually.
- Going back and forth finding the staff
- having to wait 60 to 90 days for the certificate to be issued once the 3 signatures and forms completed.
- having to wait 60 to 90 days to get their final pay (which has to be collected in person)
My friend in trying to get the 3 signatures couldn’t leave the paperwork at the old employers, therefore, had to go back and forth many times over the course of 1 week – only to face;
- The manager has gone home,
- the person you need to speak to…. is away,
- …. going home,
- …. sick at the moment,
- ….didn’t turn up, absent etc.
In classic Filipino style where no one respects each other or values time, my friend made multiple trips to get these signatures – REALLY, NO ONE GIVES A SHIT ABOUT ANYONE IN THE PHILIPPINES.
My friend moved from one part of the country to another. The friend worked in the call centre industry. Her old job was a call centre operator and she was applying for a new job in a call centre – 1 hours flight away. They would not hire her unless she had a COE – that is a requirement maam.
The salary at the time was ₱15,000 to ₱18,000 pesos per month depending on bonuses. Pffft – bonuses are never paid in the Philippines consistently because the requirements imposed to get them were unobtainable.
Based on what I outlined above, the person I know had to travel by plane to her old employer and chase people over days to get the signatures for the certificate! All at the friends cost, fares back and forth, accommodation, flights and tickets 1hour, food, bus fares from airport home etc.
Would you believe the total cost was around ₱15,000 pesos to get a COE so they could work?
That was paid for by foreigners. Not Filipino. She has no money, she cant afford an airfare of 1 hour from her new location back to her former employer. Who will pay? remember. No COE, No more work.
No 3 signatures, No payout from her former employer of her back pay owed.
Do you see how fucking mad these filipinos are – its Bureaucracy gone mad within the private sector.
The alarming thing!
When I asked further, I found out that;
- the business would not pay the final salary for 3 months. Yes, it takes 3 months to process this certificate.
- The company refused to mail the final pay or pay direct into a bank account. They issue cheques, to be collected in person.
- A postal certificate required ie. to show evidence the person claiming the final pay was who they were. This was despite the person receiving monthly salary into their bank account!
- The postal card as they call it costs money.
- The person needs to pay for another air ticket and do the whole exercise all over again to collect their COE. It wont be posted. Phil Post is reliable right?
YES, ALL COSTS MONEY AND WASTED TIME.
QUESTION? How is someone expected to start a new job, eat, pay rent etc when the former employee takes 3 months to issue a leaving certificate?
Answer is simple – Prostitution. Just go and fuck foreigners and meet them through sites like dateinasia.com and you will find nice guys who might pay your job requirements for the next job and food and rent etc in return for sex. THATS THE REALITY FOLKS.
Bait and Switch and “offer time”
Bait and switch: Some of the more unscrupulous companies who cannot hire for province jobs will do a “bait and switch”. Bait and switch is where they will say after a couple of weeks, you have to go to another island to work. That’s after the employee has spent around 2,500 to 3,000 pesos (a weeks salary) to get the job in buying uniforms and doing searches.
The worst thing is these desperate workers will have YET MORE ROUNDS OF COSTS, the company barely pays anything to help – its expected.
Offer time is where the employee offers free time. Yes, for nothing. Not for anything like extra holiday time, extra pay – NOTHING. Major international brand hotels in the Philippines get staff to work offer time. I know of a brand name US hotel group that gets staff to work offer time. They might work them 2-3+ hours and expect the staff to do it unpaid, without any reward. I knew of people who were nearly clocking off after 12 hours at midnight only to have a bus load of British tourists arrive and expected to serve them drinks etc to 3am – unpaid. If only the tourists knew of this, i am sure they would have just gone up to their rooms.