I have been on the search for Pinoy Pride for the past 10 years that I have been in The Philippines. I constantly HEAR it, so I’m thinking it must be somewhere, but for 10 years now, I haven’t seen any. Not a single speck. This “Pinoy Pride” is about the most elusive thing I’ve ever tried to see with my eyes, despite the fact my ears hear it all the time.
- Shrimp; I don’t eat shrimp unless I have prepared and cooked it myself. I would order shrimp from a restaurant in Philippines as easily as I would order a plate of shit from a restaurant. Because that is exactly what you are getting. If there was a shred of pride in a Pinoy chef, he would do his own job, and not leave it up to the customer. What do Pinoy chefs do? Cook the shrimp whole, sometimes the cut off the head, and that’s it. And what you get is a shrimp with legs, shell, and it’s vein of shrimp shit still in it. And it doesn’t matter how heavily you dowse it in garlic and butter, you still have to do the chef’s job and peel it, and then you have to look at that vein of shit while you’re trying to pull it out, which really doesn’t work at all after it’s been cooked. And if you haven’t lost your appetite for the shrimp by the time you have cleared it of it’s cooked shit, you can now enjoy that one bite morsel you just worked so hard on. But the reward for all the work you just went through of peeling off the legs, shell, and scraping shimp shit is hardly worth the effort, unless you’re near death starving and that’s the only food in front of you. But hey, if that’s ok with the Pinoy, fine, cook it that way at home. BUT IN A RESTAURANT, YOU DON’T SERVE SHIT TO A CUSTOMER! PRIDE FAIL!
- Fish; Come on man! At least get all the scales off! I understand Pinoys like to eat the eyes, the brain, and all that other stuff, but honestly, at least remove the scales! PRIDE FAIL!
- Fillet Mignon is not a chuck or sirloin strip rolled up into a medallion held together with a strip of bacon! You may be able to fool your fellow dumbshit Pinoys that way, but you certainly don’t fool those with half a brain. Every time I have ever spotted “Fillet Mignon” on a menu, I order it. And every time it arrives at my table, it’s a fucking cheap cut of beef shaped into a medallion. But I order it because I like beef, and it sure beats the pork which, if properly cooked, is not bad, but unfortunately, it’s usually always way over cooked, or way under cooked (which is fucking deadly!), seldom “just right”. PRIDE FAIL and just plain blatant lie on the menu!
- Napkins & Condiments; What the fuck am I supposed to do with that 2″ x 3″ piece of tissue paper that shreds at the first touch of moisture on it??? And when the meal is done, the entire table is somewhere under all of the spent tissue piled up. But I do understand why you don’t get proper napkins, or put condiments on the tables. Pinoys will steal whatever is left unused, so you get the cheap-ass useless ones, and sparingly dole out condiments on request. But since this is a search for Pinoy Pride, that’s another fail (unless stealing napkins and condiments from restaurant tables is something to be proud of). PRIDE FAIL!
- Freshly cooked, hot, made to order food is a rarity at restaurants in Philippines. What you usually get is pre-cooked food that has been sitting in a warmer (if you’re lucky). 50% of restaurant food I order arrives STONE COLD and coagulated, disgusting. As for fast food (let’s take McDonald’s for example), any corporate standards for how long freshly cooked food sits under the warmer goes right out the window. Any international corporate chain restaurant looses it’s good reputation when put in the hands of Pinoys. I have been served a Quarter Pounder where the bun is hard as a crusty french roll, scratching the roof of my mouth, and the patty and cheese a disgusting dried out luke warm mess. The french fries completely dead, cold, coagulated and chewy. No Pinoy pride there! PRIDE FAIL!
Appointments of any kind
- Not once has an ISP, cable/satellite TV company, appliance repair service, you name it, ever kept an appointment. Not even close. NOT ONCE IN 10 YEARS LIVING HERE! You are told the person will arrive “Thursday between 8am and 1pm” and on the RARE OCCASION they show up Thursday at all, it will be after the sun has set and I’m eating dinner or preparing for a shower and sleep. But 8 times out of 10, it ends up with me calling on Friday morning asking why the person didn’t show up. Then you get all the lame dumbass excuses, and you have to shame them into putting you first on the list tomorrow. Still searching for the Pinoy Pride! PRIDE FAIL!
Pedestrian crosswalks, road lanes, turning lanes
- WHY DO THEY EXIST IN PHILIPPINES???????????? What a total waste of road paint! PRIDE FAIL!
Grocery store checkout
- Be sure to wear body padding, and drink some coffee to stay awake. It’s gonna be a while. The laser bar code swipe system sure didn’t speed things up for the lifeless cunts that operate them. They are in no hurry at all, and it doesn’t phase them a bit to look at the mile-long line they have waiting. OH, AND MAKE SURE YOU COUNT YOUR CHANGE!! PRIDE FAIL!
- In stock today, out of stock tomorrow. It’s inevitable. Have you ever left your house with a list of your common items to buy and come home with all of them? I haven’t. PRIDE FAIL!
- Sort of like pedestrian crosswalks and lane lines. Why does it exist? Are postal employees getting paid? And for what?? Where did my mail go? Use an international courier with tracking, even if it’s just within Philippines, trust me. PRIDE FAIL!
This list can be never ending as well, so at this point, I will have to end it.
The search for the ever elusive Pinoy Pride continues.